The Low Carbon Community Project
Is funded by Climate Challenge Fund for one year (20/21)
The project will be run by Empower Women for Change to help ethnic minority women in the south-west of Glasgow to reduce carbon emissions associated with travel and household textile waste. Free project activities will include a women’s cycling club, eco-driving training, household textiles waste upcycling and a swap shop. The project will also offer workshops to help volunteers and the local community to increase their knowledge of climate change.
We believe in working towards a strong legacy that will sustain low carbon lifestyle behaviours and choices. A legacy that is based on understanding climate change and the importance of taking individual responsibilities and commitment towards reducing it.
We are building on the legacy of the involvement in the consortium of African Women Climate Change Initiative (AWCCI) project in 2018/19, We are planning to start the service of Free bike library to our target community particularly in the area of G52 (Cardonald Moss Heights area) by using the 5 bicycles we had from the AWCCI to encourage people to cycle after the training and the practice will continue after the end of the project as a valuable service of zero carbon, improve wellbeing and reduce isolation.
- Reduce travel and carbon intensity of private car use by 14 tCO2e by training 40 women in cycling, and 30 women in fuel efficient driving and promoting car sharing and walking.
- Reduce direct and indirect emissions through non-segregated waste disposal reduction by 28.1 tCO2e for 100 women/ households by participating in recycling, upcycling, textile swap-shops, and training for the repair/maintenance and recycling of used bicycles.
- Increase carbon literacy for 150 community members and 20 volunteers by participating in workshops designed to promote low carbon lifestyle, behaviours and choices.
The projects activities and events include:
- The Low Carbon Community Cycling Club
- Community Awareness Workshops
- Car Eco Driving and sharing
- Household Textile Waste Upcycling and Swap Shop
- The Low Carbon Community Fashion Show and Exhibition
- Celebration of the project achievement/impacts
Follow us on Facebook:
EWfC:The Low Carbon Community Project